View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 18, 2012, 11:25 AM

AA again after 30 years!

Hi everyone,
My husband Rich has now been diagnosed with AA for the second time. Here’s the story so far…

In April 1979, Rich (then aged 13) started to develop bruises and petechiae. He was diagnosed with AA in June 1979. His blood levels were Hb 6.7, WBC 3.0, plt 10, neutrophils 27%. At the time, the outlook was not good as there was no match for bone marrow in the family.

Fortunately, by August 1979, he started making a spontaneous recovery with no treatment other than a blood transfusion. He continued making regular visits to the oncology clinic for blood tests and his results continued to improve. By January 1984, his results were Hb 16.2, WBC 4.9, plt 114, neutrophils 22%. In 1985, Rich moved away to university and stopped visiting the clinic. He assumed he was ‘cured’ and thought no more about it.

In January 2011, Rich visited his GP, complaining of feeling run down after various cold and flu like symptoms. Fortunately, his GP looked up his previous records and spotted the AA diagnosis. After referrals to various hospital departments for ultrasound, gastroscopy, CT scan and finally a bone marrow biopsy, he was diagnosed with AA again, in April 2011. Blood results this time were Hb 13.1, WBC 3.9, neutrophils 0.8 and plt 81. He was due to have ATG treatment in July. Again, however, his blood levels started to get better on their own.

At the moment, he is having blood tests in the hospital haematology department every 3 months. His blood levels are good enough not to need treatment (thank goodness ) but his fatigue has meant a long period off work.

After lots of research, I now feel I know a lot more about AA. I’m so pleased to have found the AAMDSIF website and marrowforum. Thanks to everyone who contributes. It’s good to feel you are not alone trying to understand such a rare condition.

It would be great to hear from anyone else who is in the ‘watch and wait’ group.

Thanks for listening,

Sara