View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 08:34 AM

Reply to Chirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirley View Post
Hi Glenda,

I thought that Exjade should only be prescribed when ferritin was over 1000. When I was put on Exjade my ferritin was over 5000 and I remember my doctor mentioning the minimum of 1000. I didn't think that Exjade could be prescribed on the PBS with a ferritin of less than 1000 because the doctor used to have to put in an authorisation request to Canberra. That was a few years ago maybe the system has changed. Perhaps you have some co existing medical condition which makes it important to have a lower ferritin level? Are your liver enzymes normal?

Can I ask what treatment centre you're going to? I used to go to HOCA at Mater and Chermside and then transferred to Logan but (hopefully) am in the process of going back to Mater but not HOCA.

Regards

Chirley
Hi Chirley

I live near Rockhampton and am seen by a haematologist from Brisbane who comes up here about once a month. He is with HOCA at the Mater /Chermside. Yes he did mention earlier about the ferritin being at 1000 so don't know why he decided to start the Exjade .I will ask him next time. In last test 15/4 Re liver the ALT was a little bit high and in the Iron Studies the Trans Sat was higher as well.

Regards
Glenda