View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 6, 2010, 02:12 PM

Insurance, etc.

I actually live in TN and work in AL. My insurance covers both facilities.

I know UAB and Vanderbilt are both very good medical facilities, and I know that they treat people with AA, but to my knowledge they do not have doctors that specialize in AA. Some on the forum have strongly suggested that I somehow hook up with doctors like Dr. Brodsky (JHopkins) or Dr. Young (NIH), etc., who specialize more in AA and MDS... but these people are pretty far away from me distance-wise.

I am scheduled to go back to a doctor at Vanderbilt later in Jan. 2010. I don't have a problem with that, but I just want to make sure there isn't somewhere else I should try to be going that might be more geared toward AA.

I know they do quite a few BMTs at Vanderbilt, but less than 6% (according to info on their website) are AA related -- should this be a red flag to me? Vanderbilt is in Nashville, and it is relatively convenient for me and my family. If I ever need a BMT, it would be the best place (location-wise) for my support network... but are there better places for AA that I should consider -- even though they may be further from my family (i.e. those who would be taking care of me)?

Just weighing the options...