View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 7, 2010, 04:21 PM

I have AA and have been under the care of Dr. Melissa Baird since December 2006 when I was first diagnosed at UAB. When diagnosed, I was 56 years old. She is a physician in the Hematology/Oncology department at Kirklin Clinic at UAB. I have been, and continue to be, very pleased with the care I have received. I do not know UAB's success rate with BMT and you may want to explore that. My treatment has consisted of ATG and cyclosporine (Neoral). I achieved normal blood counts gradually over two years. I recently was switched to Imuran (generic form) instead of Csa when I developed kidney toxicity. My platlets have dropped to 71K but all my other counts have stayed at normal or just barely below. My kidney function returned to normal. So I am happy with how Dr. Baird has responded to changes in my status. If I ever did need to consider a BMT, I would not necessarily automatically have it done at UAB. I would explore the success rates at other facilities with my age group and compare to UAB before I decided. I know Dr. Baird would agree with this approach. Hope this is helpful. Best wishes in your journey... a knowlegable doctor you trust is important. I do not know how many other AA patients Dr. Baird sees but she consults other Doctors about my case.

JEZ
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran