View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 12:45 PM

Mom dx with AA possible MDS

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance for any information.

My 68 yr old Mother is in the process of being dx with AA. She has had 2 bone marrow biopsies now. The last one Feb.7. After a heck of a time I finally got a hold of her hematologist here in Edmonton at the University of Alberta (Dr.Larett). She told me that they think Mom has AA and are waiting to get final results on whether it is MDS or not. Which she said would take 2-3 weeks. My mom has been very week and tired. Her bloodwork had fluctuated. Platelets being the worst. She has had 1 hemo transfusion and 4 platelets. when i talked to he dr. on Wednesday they told me that if there were beds available Mom would be starting treatment (ATG, Cyclo and Steroids). She said maybe Tuesday Mom might be admitted. I'm not really familiar with what is normal for counts and what is not but here are numbers for this morning. Hemo at 91, Platelets were at 23 after having a transfusion last saturday and are now going down again at 19. She will probably need another Plate trans on Monday because it keeps going down to 9. Her neutrophils are at 0.4 which is what is the most concerning for me now. I left a message for the Dr. to tell her I think Mom should be admitted before she gets sicker. but I haven't heard anything back. What should I do? Is this super serious for someone of her age? Or should we calm down and just let things take their course? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. Oh ya, Mom also has problems with her heart. Thanks!!!!