View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:27 PM

Hi slip up 2,

My dad is 78 years old and has biphenotypic (two kinds of leukemia at the same time) AML. He's had 5 cycles of Vidaza so far and is still experiencing low counts. His wbc is hovering around 1.0, his hematocrit is around 26 (he needs transfusions every two or three weeks) and his platelets tend to clump but have been in the 10,000 range or lower for a couple of months. He's gotten as low as 3,000 and 5,000. He receives platelets every three weeks or so. Because his platelets tend to clump and be uncountable, the medical team relies on him noticing extra petechia, bruising, bleeding gums, or nose. He is feeling fatigued but not terrible. He naps every day, walks about 1/2 hour, and does a lot of reading.
In my dad's case, we are just hoping to keep things at bay for as long as we can. We're feeling pretty good about the Vidaza at least holding him somewhat steady, even if it is a very LOW count steady.

I hope your husband continues to do well, even if he needs transfusions. Glad to hear his BM is good!
Lesley Jacobs in Seattle