View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

Transplant

I had another visit with the transplant doc on Thursday, I really like him. He received his degree from Stanford University. He is easy to talk to. I am still waiting for the donor to do his thing. He is a a 25 yo male. I have a second back-up donor that is a 30 yo female. that it all the info I have at the moment. He said that they are both very good matches and explained that there really isn't a perfect match unless it is your own or an identical twin. I guess all the major antigens have lined up and the doc said that there are always a few minor ones that will come through but it is huge to be able to line up the major ones. I am trying to learn as much as I can about all of this. in the mean time my counts are normal two weeks in a row. My wbc is still 8 and my rbc is 3.81 and that is the best yet! Hemo is 12.8 and neutriphils 61%. I think that I will be having my transplant at a optimum time. If this MDS had gone unnoticed for a few more months I could have had AML and a not so good a prognosis!
Eli I sure hope that Nellie is doing better, she is in my prayers.
Best to all, Vera
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09