View Single Post
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 10:28 AM

More on Hospital Supplies

I'm sure if you have lose fitting over the head garments it would be fine, I am trying to make it as easy as possible, plus I have a little tendinitis in my wrists. It was what was suggested to me and it will be easier for the nurses!
I was suppose to be admitted to a different hospital and they were adamant about sealed products. I went out and bought all new things. At first I read on line about the University not to bring any, that everything would be provided for me but my list of things to bring said to bring your own..However it did say not to bring a toothbrush!! Different hospitals have different policies. The first hospital said I had to have all of my clothes laundered and sealed in a plastic bags! The rooms are hepa-filtered and you are right germs are everywhere but I am hoping that there are a FEW less in the hospital! Do what makes YOU comfortable!
Some hospitals have exercise rooms. UCSF does not. I was told that the physical therapists will bring exercise equipment to your room.
Also in the states most large hospitals have WIFI available for free. I can play CD movies on my laptop. I do have a small CD movie player and it could be easier to look at while I am in bed.
There are a lot of programs available, massage, tai chi,stress reduction,guided imagery,meditation,yoga..lot's of support groups..these are all at another UC hospital and you are suppose to be able to go there by shuttle bus.I don't know how you can go any where with 0 blood counts so it will be interesting to find this all out.
The best thing is that my best friend lives only a few miles away and she will be with me every day. The weird thing is that we hardly ever see each other any more because we live so far from each other!
Take care, Vera
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09