View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:42 PM

Pancytopenia Improvement w/Environment Change?

Here's a question I've often wondered about...

Has anyone out there experienced an improvement in their blood counts after drastically changing their environment? For example, moving to a completely different part of the country (or world)... getting away from a certain job environment... changing from one climate extreme to another... something like that?

The reason I ask is this... I have had very slow moving pancytopenia for ~13 years now (that I know of). My counts are dropping very slowly. I have met others on this forum who also have relatively slow-moving pancytopenia over a long period of time -- though we seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

One person I met on this forum eventually had her counts "crash" suddenly after a decade or so of slowly declining counts. She went on to have a bone marrow transplant, and to appear to be cured. However, after another couple of years, she once again started experiencing low blood counts, needing transfusions, etc. This led me to to think about the possibility of environmental factors.

I am not suggesting that for everyone on this forum (or perhaps for anyone) that environment is THE cause or main contributor. I am just asking the question. Has anyone experienced improvement with change in environment?