View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 8, 2008, 10:03 AM

Yeah, shortness of breath can be due to a lower HGB. Everyone has a different threshhold for when syptoms appear due to low HGB. Docs don't alway accept this.

Just as a point of reference in case you need surgery....John had surgery with a HGB of 10 and plts of 30. His WBC as around 2.8 at the time. It's not an ideal time but they transfused platelets before surgery and gave him two units of red cells afterwards. I continue to be amazed at how well one can function with very little. I remember how scared I used to be, thinking that any little thing could kill him. Much of this was perpetuated by the medical community. I wanted to wrap him up in bubble wrap. But our experience with low counts for a long time showed that he was stronger than they lead us to believe. Of course you don't gain this confidence until you actually experience an event. Our local Hemo was surprised from time to time also. Post treatment, with very low counts, he was able to deal with shingles, broken wrist, flu, colds, dental work, ruptured quad and other stuff. So just know that you are very strong and your body will do everything its power to restore your health.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.