Thread: Low GFR
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:31 PM

I remember having this happen to me, and I also panicked! At the time, I was taking more than 5 mg/kg/day of cyclosporine, which is not recommended. Is your daughters dosage less than 5 mg/kg/day?

I lowered my cyclosporine to 5 mg/kg/day and increased my water intake, and the GFR was back in the normal range by the next week.

With creatinine, you really want to pay attention to the "percentage over baseline". The drug manufacture warns that you should not let your creatinine exceed 30% of your baseline for an extended period of time without risking permanent kidney damage. The baseline is your pre-treatment creatinine level. So even if her creatinine is in the normal range now, it may not be normal for her if it is >30% of her baseline! A nephrologist that I consulted with also recommended checking for protein in your urine every 6 months, as an indicator of struggling kidneys.

Hopefully, it is nothing but a blip and something that can easily be corrected by increasing her water intake or lowering her dosage.