Thread: Scared
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 11:34 PM

Hi

Hi,

Please try not to be scared and try to remain calm. I know how you feel though. Although my dad was diagnosed in January 2007, I didn't find out about my dad's condition until a month ago, in March. The first 2 to almost 3 weeks, I was a mess; I couldn't stop crying and kept fretting over what I've read on the Internet. But I continued to trek through and research as much as I can. It's been roughly about a month since I've learned of my dad's condition, and I just take it day by day. Fortunately for me, I am currently not working so I do have the leisure to stay on the Internet all day and research. The most important thing I've learned thus far is, not to believe in those statistics! Medicine and new research is constantly evolving and a lot of the material on the Internet is outdated.

Since I've found out about my dad's condition, I have been his main caretaker. As a caretaker, I also watch his nutrition and juice him vegetables or fruit juices about once to twice a day. The only day I don't juice him are on Sundays when both my parents and I attend church and I am able to sort of not think about my dad's condiiton. Other than that, I've read that juicing organic drinks can help. Who knows, so far it isn't helping but I figure, it wouldn't hurt. It would only help him. My dad is also taking CoQ10 (vitamin) and Cod Liver Oil. I ran these both past our hematologist and he gave us the approval saying that it wouldn't hurt him. Again, doesn't seem like it's working yet, but worth a shot.

But before going into these, what type of MDS does your dad have? There are certain questions that I would ask the doctor:

1) What type of MDS? and the reason your hematologist believes your husband fits into that type of MDS
2) What's his IPSS score? Low? Intermediate-1? Intermediate-2? High?
3) Any excess blasts?
4) Any abnormal chromsomes?
5) What are the treatment plans?
6) Which blood lines are affected? Red ? White? Platelets?

I hope this can be of help. I hope the 2 year prognosis statstical rate the doctor gave you doesn't bog you down any futher. Although the doctor has a medical background, it is up to the man upstairs who determines that. I've came across many people within the last month who were either diagnosed with MDS or AA or other types of cancers where their doctor has been wrong and they've outlived the statistics and they are doing well.

Please in the meanwhile, continue to learn as much as you can. It will help when you go into the doctor's office that you are able to understand some of the medical lingo. Another advice: continue to read through past posts on this forum, I think they may answer some of your questions!

I hope this was of help. Just remember, you are not alone and there are many families who are faced with MDS and they are doing well. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Best wishes,
June
June, daugther. 71 yr old father dx on 01/13/07 with MDS/MPD - RCMD/Secondary MF). No excess blasts no excess chromosomes. Hypercelluar 70-80%. Low hgb. Transfusion dependent every 3-4 weeks/2pints. Began Procrit on 03/27/07. No progress thus far. Taking Folic Acid, B6, CoQ10, and Cod Liver Oil