View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 05:21 PM

Problems with Procrit

My husband was recently diagnoised with MDS (subcategory RAERS), but, they're re-evaluating it and it may be RA subcategory instead. He hadn't received the IPPS yet, we're waiting on those results. Anyway, he was diagnosed after being run down and had a routine appt with his cardiologist last month. His doctor ordered a full panel on Thurs due to my Husband's complaint of being run down and pale (anemic) appearance. All blood counts were low - RBC, WBC, Platelets. We made an appt with a Hemotologist the following week. That weekend, prior to seeing a Hematologist my husband got really weak and ran a fever so I took him to the ER, knowing he didn't have the blood counts to fight off infection. 3 days later, after mulitple inpatient tests, it was suspected he had MDS and a bone marrow biopsy was performed. 10 days following that, we learned my husband has MDS. He's quickly has been very very tired. He had 3 units of blood before he left the hospital and, after 1 month, had to have another 2 units of blood again. He gains his strength for approx 4 days, then, tired again.

He's also just been given Procrit, and I wonder if that's helping him or making him more tired? After Procrit injection #1 on a wed, he got very very tired, but, after the 2 units he got on that same Fri, he had energy for 4 days... but, a week later and Procrit Shot #2, his energy has steadily gone down hill... all he wants to do is sleep.

I wish I could do something for him. I've been studying/researching types of health diets/nutritional recommendations, etc.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations??? we do pray daily.

My husband is 65 yrs next month and use to be a very active - almost type-A person... like, he did everything that needed to be done "yesterday!"...

Last edited by launch : Mon Mar 16, 2009 at 08:18 PM.