View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 2, 2011, 06:15 PM

Unhappy My dad just diagnosed with MDS. Please read..

My father was diagnosed with MDS 2 days ago. It was sudden and we were not expecting this kind of outcome. His blood tests back in Nov of 2010 was normal. When he did a blood test this past week, his RBC and platelet were quiet low.

White blood cells- 8.8
RBC- 1.92
hemoglobin- 6.9
MCV- 105
platelet- 85

We took him to the hospital where they gave him 2 units of blood transfusion and after a bone marrow biopsy, the doctors concluded it was MDS.

He is scheduled to start chemo this coming wed at a low dosage. He is 57 years old.

The doctos explained that MDS doesnt have stages, so based on his levels before any blood transfusion (see above), is his condition bad? I mean, his blood count was normal back in Nov.

I am very scared and terrified. I have a few questions and if you guys can answer any of them, i'd appreciate it.

1) is a stem cell transplant considered a "cure" for mds?

2) How hard is it to find a match for the transplant. My father has 3 sibilings? What is the likelyhood of them being matches? Can his children and wife also be potential matches?

3) Is MDS only located in the bone marrow? Or is it a blood disease that affects the entire body? For instance, can the cancer spread and affect other organs in his body?

4) how long is the life expectancy for someone with MDS with and without stem cell transplant? If we do not find a donor, can my father live a good and long life with the help of drugs and medications?

Any information will TRUELY be appreciated. I can't stop crying but I know I have to stay strong for him...