View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 12:11 PM

That is a fantastic question.

The cause of MDS is still classified as unknown, unless the patient has had prior exposure to alkalyting chemotherapy, or substantial exposure to certain chemicals like benzen. I believe that current opinion is that you develop the cytogenetic anomaly as a result of the MDS, not the other way around. In other words the extra copy of a chromosome 8 like I have, or a deletion 5q are symptomatic of the disease, not the cause. There are about 10 different regularly occurring chromosomal changes that are found in MDS, but about 50% of MDS patients have normal cytogenetics. It is common for patients to develop more abnormalities as the disease progresses, though many do not.

One of my big concerns when I found out that i had MDS is whether or not my children would be susceptible to getting the disease. Current belief is that MDS is not inherited or passed on along the family line. There are some rare cases where it happens, but these may be related to environmental factors over family genetics.

As you will find out, although many different patient types are named MDS, it acts like a very different disease for many different people. The main theme is that the patients have dysplastic (abnormal) blood cell development in at least one blood line, and usually present with at least one blood line that is either not producing enough, or not maturing adequately and eventually results in a transfusion need.

Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.