View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 10:19 AM

I personally had way more than that over my lifetime - I had tons of transfusions as a kid, and then in the ~9 months before my transplant, an awful lot more besides. For my last month before my BMT, I was having two red and two platelets every single week!

If you start to have reactions to pools of platelets (which is very scary, but the nurses can stop the reaction within a minute or two), then next time they'll order single-donor platelets for you. If you still react to that (which I did!), then they'll order HLA-matched platelets for you. The logistics behind getting these are complicated which make them really expensive apparently, so they only do this if absolutely necessary, and they have to plan a day or two in advance so they're ready for you.

Feel free to look through my thread and you can see that I've had nothing short of a miraculous BMT and recovery. So please don't spend your energy worrying over this particular aspect. If blood transfusions are needed, they're needed!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)