View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 06:26 PM

Late Responder response to weaning

Dear Ssdavi

I was ever grateful for the hopeful message that you sent me when I was receiving blood and platelet transfusions. I was a late responder. I did not respond until the 9th. month. I received the ATG Treatment in October of2012. I was struck by hurricane Sandy shortly after. Four unrelated donors offered me their bone marrow at Sloan Kettering. The doctors felt like I was in grave shape and that they were concerned that I might not respond to the transfusions anymore. I saw five doctors and finally found a great doctor who said that he had "cautious optimism for me." His name is Dr. David Araten. He is an intelligent and compassionate doctor. He helped council me when I was living in the hotel. I decided to wait and finally received a response to the ATG treatment.
I was afraid that although the transplant could cure me that it could also kill me. I waited and I have been transfusion free ever since. My hemoglobin is 11.8 My platelets are 70. I was told that cyclosporine can damage the liver. My hematologist told me that stopping cyclosporine can sometimes have an adverse reaction and that people's counts can increase. I can not give advice on what to do but I asked the doctor not to decrease my cyclosporine anymore because my hemoglobin has been on a slow rise. I was taking 250 mg originally and now he has me on 150. I am actually avoiding going there unless I feel I truly have to go get my CBCs done because I do not want him to wean me off these drugs. I do not advise anyone to do that but I am not going to risk a relapse. Many people speak about falling once they are off the 25mg. dosage.
Either way I have continued my spiritual work, improving my lifestyle, praying and eating more organic fruits and vegetables.
I told all of my friends how grateful I was for this forum. Just a few words can really encourage a person. I am back home again. I was living at a hotel without an immune system shortly after my ATG as a result of Sandy. I am ever grateful for this site.
Blessings and I do hope you collect as much information as possible and speak to a few professionals. I don't believe in weaning off these pills if your levels are falling. My platelets have been fluctuating and I am not risking it right now but that is my decision. I may be wrong. Blessings