View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 2, 2013, 07:11 PM

Differential diagnosis?

Hi. I realize that I'm an extremely bizarre potential case for PNH, being young (28) and female, and having less than 1.7% clonal mutations... not to mention the fact that this whole disaster manifested itself as a minor portal vein thrombus that did not a) kill me or b) debilitate me in any way (beyond a weekend in the hospital)... but as my doctors have so far not said a word about what might be wrong with me or provided any insight into where I might look for answers, I thought I'd ask other people that are dealing with this... so...
Is it possible that I have mutational clones (CD15, CD24, and a lovely FLAER array showing around 1.7% along with slightly (but sub clinically) elevated LDH levels and I DONT have PNH? Honestly, I'm young enough and stupid enough to be hoping for AML because at least then I can fight like hell, but because my doctor is taking the "wait and see" approach, I haven't had a BMB yet... and I just want to know. Is it possible? Has anybody else dealt with this? Is there anywhere I should be looking?

As a side note, this level of paranoia exists because I want to be a general surgeon, working with Doctors without Borders in sub-Saharan Africa or Haiti, and the idea of being tied to a massive industrial hospital complex in North America because of an incurable medical condition has me completely spooked... especially considering that I appear to be a complete freak of nature that nobody in my home state is prepared to deal with...

Thanks in advance...
-Jameson-