View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2016, 08:04 AM

AML Induction Chemo Experiences?

Hi All!

Last night at midnight, I finished up my the last of seven units of cytarabine. During the first three days, I also had idarubicin. Though my diagnosis remains high-risk MDS (RAEB-2), this is the standard course of induction chemo for AML here at Duke

I know from research online that there's a well-established pattern of impact on blood counts, at least according the the FDA.

Quote:
Following 5-day constant infusions or acute injections of 50 to 600 mg/m2, white cell depression follows a biphasic course. Regardless of initial count, dosage level, or schedule, there is an initial fall starting the first 24 hours with a nadir at days 7 to 9. This is followed by a brief rise which peaks around day 12. A second and deeper fall reaches nadir at days 15 to 24. Then there is a rapid rise to above baseline in the next 10 days. Platelet depression is noticeable at day 5 with a peak depression occurring between days 12 to 15. Thereupon, a rapid rise to above baseline occurs in the next 10 days.
But I'd be interested in hearing from folks who have undergone induction therapy for AML and MDS about what your actual experience was with the drug in the period after administration: fatigue, infections, hair loss, whatever.

Please weigh in and let me know what to expect.

Thanks!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com