View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 7, 2007, 07:13 PM

antibiotic allergies?

My daughter, Caitlyn, who has had AA since Oct. 2001 has been off cyclosporine for 2 years. So she is doing well but still continues to have lower than normal blood counts. We have been very lucky that she had not gotten any bacterial infections or viruses since going off cyclosporine until this year. Three weeks ago she ended an antibiotic, cefadroxil, for strep throat. She seemed fine for the 10 days she was on it but developed a severe allergic reaction the first day she got off it. Her hemo dr and pediatrician believe it is still, after 3 weeks, a reaction to the antibiotic. She gets chest tightening, blotches all over her body, and alot of coughing. She is also allergic to other antiobiotics and I wonder if it may be AA related. Has anyone else dealt with allergies to antiobiotics during or post ATG and cyclosporine treatment. She was not allergic to antiobiotics before she got AA. Now, the list of allergies for antiobiotics is now at 5. I was told that there will always be an antiobiotic that she can take but what if she is allergic to them also?
Thanks,
Amy Langley
daughter Caitlyn, 11, dx AA October 13, 2001 , 1 ATG, 3 + years cyclosporine and other drugs, doing good except lower than normal blood counts