View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Hello,

My 75yo father had MDS until 3 weeks ago when he was diagnosed with AML.
He started chemo with the 5+2 plan (instead of the 7+3). He had no side effects other than one high fever night and poor appetite, so things were going reasonably well, "according to plan" the doctor said...

Today, his marrow amalysis showed he still has 17%blasts, so doctor said that chemo didnt work for him... Now all his counts are low but he is feeling good...

I was really hoping he would be in remission, so this is really destroying me right now... Doctor said we have to wait till his counts go up a bit before talking about new options, though she doesnt seem very optimistic. She suggested Dacogen might be an option, but I havent find any promising info on that drug used in AML refractory to chemo...
Do any of you have any treatment advise? experiences?
THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading me, this is one of the worst days of my life (if not the worst)

Hi Juan,

I am not an expert on Vidaza but have seen a number of presentations on it. A common theme is that the Vidaza must be continued a minimum number of cycles before it can be determined whether it is effective or not. Also, it is expected that counts will get worse before they get better. I can't remember offhand the minimum number of cycles (maybe 5 or 6?) but this article from 2014 talks about trying it for 6 months before stopping.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3921030/

Just another data point for you to discuss with the doctor...

Best of luck!