View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 10, 2011, 02:20 PM

Sapacitabine

Hi Linda,
Yes, chemo can kill all kinds of cells and the fast dividing stem cells in the bone marrow are often very sensitive. Some chemos are more toxic for the bone marrow than other and some patients are more sensitive than other. Sapacitabine doesn't seem to be very hard on the bone marrow for most patients according to the study.

If the HGB is low we feel tired.

If the WBCs are low we don't feel anything until we get an infection. Control Al's temperature twice a day and if he feels hot. If the temperature is high you should go to the ER and not start taking any drugs to get the temperature down.

If the platelets are low we can get small bleedings from mouth and nose. We can have platelets that function very well and manage with low counts. Most clinics transfuse if they are lower than 20. My platelets are dysfunctional and I always have blood blisters in the mouth and bruises even if my platelets are 100. Remember that many drugs can decrease platelets for example all pain killers - avoid them if possible.

We hope that Al's counts will increase with best possible supportive therapy. Then it is always important to eat well, take exercise, sleep enough and so on.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A