View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 7, 2014, 12:51 PM

jessinpdx,
Our doctors do not know how she acquired MDS, it was discovered during a routine checkup at the doctor when blood results came back and all of her counts were low. Her doctors at MD Anderson said they wanted to do a transplant as soon as they had her blasts below 5%, so the search for a donor was started right away and she had a transplant at 3 months after diagnosis.

We live in Dallas and went to Houston for treatment, so how to handle the kids during that time was a big concern for us. We wanted to disrupt their lives as little as possible, so my mom moved into our house and lived with the kids for the 4 months we were away in Houston. I spent the first 30 days in Houston after the transplant, then would come home every 2 weeks for several days.

It was really difficult for the kids, and I wish I could tell you that we had found a way to make it easy for them. However, our children are now 10 and 8 years old and we are back to a pretty normal and very happy life. My wife is still doing very well and she goes to the kids sports events, walks them to school and we took the kids to 6 Flags this weekend. We definitely feel very blessed.

We are coming up on 1 year post transplant (her 1st birthday!) next month. I hope my wife's story helps comfort you as you begin this journey.

Stay strong,
Chad S