View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2014, 05:19 PM

Nothing is required, but a second opinion is highly desirable. My first diagnosis was done by an oncologist who typically a dozen patients a year. His BMB was done with a hand auger. I sought opinions from 2 BMT transplant hospitals. They said the specimens were poorly prepared but agreed with the conclusion. MDS is not hard to diagnose - %blasts, WBC platelets and hemocrit. If blood counts in marrow and peripheral blood agree, and any outlying conditions eliminated, then the doctor assesses severity and treatment opinions. I have always received appointments with in a week. Again see doctors from world class doctors who see more than 100 per year.

In the past 3 months I have had 5 BMB's with one two weeks from now.

Medicare pays for second opinions and encourages them. 6 years I had chest pain while exercising and over time received about as many misdiagnoses. The last one told me I had a 95% blockage in my LAD. A stent fixed it. I went to my VA doctor with my MDS and was told the waiting list for transplants was so long that I would die before I could be treated.

You are your best advocate.

Ray