View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 8, 2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitta-A View Post
Hi joesmith,
It is not common that growth factor injections and txs are painful. What growht factors have your mother received?

Good that you look out for complications when your mother's counts are so low.

Too bad that your mother couldn't tolerate platelet txs! Hopefully her platelets function well. Has she any signs of bleeding like petechia (very small bleedings in the skin), nose bleeding or blood blisters in her mouth?

Remember that we should try to avoid everything that can decrease platelets or increase bleedings. http://www.pdsa.org/about-itp/warnings.html. All kinds of pain killers can decrease platelet.

There is a growth factor for platelets called Promacta. It is not approved for MDS patients but trials have showed positive results in trials. Another growth factor, Nplate, should be avoided since it can increase the risk for leukemia.

Hope your mother's counts will increase!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Hi Birgitta,

Thanks for the prompt response. Earlier you had shared with the information on foods and supplements to avoid when dealing with low platelets and I very much appreciate it. So far my mom has not had any bleeding or petecia and she is taking the highest levels of care when it comes to brushing or chopping or doing daily chores.

My mom received Neupogen which were painful particularly at the long bones in the body. She hasnt been given any Neupogen post the first round of Vidaza. Her doctor has indicated that Promacta would be the last resort and at this time the only thing to do is wait and watch. She goes in for her next CBC after 2 days.