View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:22 PM

MDS - What to do next

Hi, I wrote in August but I never followed up. Well I am back and I have a few new questions. My husband Dx in August (actually June with a bx in July) with MDS. He also has 17q- which is not good. We went to Dana Farber for a second opinion, discussed BMT. It was determined that he was not a good candidate for BMT because of the mm he was Dx with in 1999 where he had a stem cell transplant, TBI, etc. plus he did not want to go through it just to fail in the end. At the time of this Dx, I thought his blasts were 3% but I think it was less than 5%, I have to verify this. Anyway, my question is what should I be looking for? When is it time to do something different? Is there anything different that can be done? I have been looking for clinical trials but have not had much success, I am not sure I am researching in the correct places but I have spent much time looking to see what is out there. I just need some hope, and some help finding it.

He is currently on decitabine and has had 2 cycles. His counts are now as follows: WBC - 1.1, RBC - 2.63, Hgb - is 9.0' plats - 127. Not great but holding own. He has had 3 EPO shots which seem to be keeping him going. Should I start looking for clinical trials? I understand we may not have results until 3 or 4 cycles, but what else can I do? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you