View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 04:41 AM

hi amy,

it's interesting you bring this up. my son shane reacted to his second platelet transfusion - anaphylactic shock. it was very scary! he had only been in hospital for one week. then he reacted to penicillin or rather - a mix of antibiotic with penicillin. perhaps the "cillin" group? his rash was so severe that he had high fever for five days and again went into shock twice - only that time is was hypovolaemic shock. the nurses and doctors were fab with shane. during his tough times he had a nurse in 24/7 and obs taken every 10 minutes.

he also became allergic to the plaster that they used on his central line - can't remember the name, but it's a clear one. so he had to suffer with the usual very sticky thick plaster. the docs said they hadn't seen anyone react to so much in a short space of time. however, this was prior to ATG, BMT and cylco. so not sure why he reacted so much.

i'm enclosing a pic of just his legs when he had the rash. it was a very impressive rash - they also took photos for his file. i didn't want to take of his upper body and face, but they were much worse than his legs.

maybe having allergic reactions is part of AA - had never thought it about it

gina xxx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1102_074041.jpg (13.6 KB, 24 views)