View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 1, 2008, 03:40 PM

AA - Expected Outcomes?

Hi
I am 49 years old and was diagnosed in early May 2008 with AA. At the time of my diagnosis, I was in excellent health.

I was admitted to hospital within a few days and I received ATG (rabbit) and I had no serious side effects. I was put on cyclosporine 300mg daily (along with many other drugs).

In June 2008, I had an infection (started with chills & high fever) and I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks.

I experienced severe nausea in July but a change from Sandoz Cyclosporine to Neoral Cyclosporine appeared to correct this problem.

In August 2008, I started to show positive results. Currently, at 5 months post ATG, my counts are now stable but low - Red Blood 93 (normal 115-155), Platelets 70 (normal 115-400) and White Blood 2.9 (normal 3 - 10.5).

I am still easily winded and cannot do anything strenuous but I am able to work 20-30 hours/week.

From early May to end of July, I received 13 units of blood and 7 units of platelets. I just had my pic line removed, as my last transfusion was the end of July.

My doctor will reduce/remove cyclosporine within the next few months provided my blood results increase or stabilize.

I am wondering what are the possible expected long-term outcomes?
If patients experience remission, typically how long does this last?
If this treatment does not work, when do you look at BMT option?
I do have 2 sibling matches.

Any advice or information would be helpful.

Thank you!

Last edited by Catherine2008 : Wed Oct 1, 2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: repeated word