View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:31 PM

Exjade for Iron Overload, Diag. MDS & Trisomy 8

I’ve been dealing with iron overload about 5 years but also chronic anemia. I started having phlebotomies on a regular basis last year but it was making my anemia worse. I felt I needed better quality of life and was referred to George Washington Medical Center in DC and after tests referred to a study at National Instate of Health.

I was hoping to be accepted in a trial at NIH but in the end I didn’t meet their protocol. I was too old for the study GW recommended. The cut off age is 72. I was 73 last year when tested and turned 74 in January. The trial, if accepted, was to correct the bone marrow disorder, which, in turn would make treating the Hemochromatosis, a breeze, phlebotomies every 2-3 months.

It seems I was boarder line for another study, blood count has never been low enough for a blood transfusion. If it did drop below 10, I received a procrit shot.

Birgitta-A... I started taking Exjade a week ago to lower the iron (1000-mg). It’s supposed to be a reduced dosage. The side effects, like any drug, concerns me. I joined the forum to see how others responded to the drug. I was told I must take the drug in the morning on an empty stomach but I saw where you had taken the drug in the evening as well. That seems a better option for taking two @ 500mg.
HGB boarding 10 for the past 5 years
Hereditary Hemochromatosis now on EXJADE 2010