View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 5, 2011, 06:52 PM

It's easy to determine which patients are transplant patients in a waiting room----they're the ones with sweaters and long pants on in the summer. Until your blood counts are normal, you'll probably feel colder than usual. It's caused by low red counts, as far as I understand.

As far as sun exposure, the idea is to not cause cellular changes and getting a suntan is exactly that. A good rule of thumb is to prepare yourself as you would an infant. You aren't a child, but your immune system is, so take good care. Have to admit I'm not comfortable with the straw hat, one made of heavier cloth or with built in spf protection would be a better option. (they're kind of cool, like an Aussie bush hat and have panels you can use to protect the back of your neck. Now, I may have had the fear of sun instilled in me by husband's doctor, but I won't let him sit on the beach without proper clothing, umbrella and of course lots of sunscreen. Anything that can cause cellular changes can open the door to GVHD. Don't forget to protect your hands too!