View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 11:15 AM

Hi Jody

Cyclosporine taper is a really hot topic.

Actually, I get a little frustrated with how much contradictory stuff you find out there.

Traditionally, cyclosporine was cut off cold turkey at about 6 months after a response.

Then, when so many AA patients started relapsing, some doctors pushed for a long slow taper to reduce the risk of relapse. I have seen some doctors advocate a 25 mg drop every 3 months.

Some data from Europe supported this approach.

BUT,

According to new research done at the NIH, they have seen no difference in the relapse rate between a long slow tape and an abrupt stop.

Now, some doctors have discussed a very strange phenomenon of taking the Cyclosporine dose all the way down to 25 mg...to the point where it's no longer detectable in the blood. The patient holds his counts fine; then they take that last little dose off, and then the counts start to fall. So there are many cases out there of patients who take 25 mg daily just to keep the little demons in check.

Of course, you also have to factor in the liver and the kidneys. You know how that goes.

Anyway, your son's doctor is the expert, but don't be afraid to bring research and ask questions. My hemo was very receptive to my suggesting a long taper.

Hope this helps.