View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 7, 2011, 07:17 PM

Hello and welcome! There's no easy answer to your questions because each facility is so different, as is each patient. However, there is lots of good general advice here in the forum posts and lots of individual blogs elsewhere on the web, written by those who have undergone transplants. Those whose posts here were especially helpful for me beforehand include (but aren't limited to) users Squirrelypoo, Laura, DebbieW, and Flamingo Jim.

I'm one of those odd people who likes to spend a lot of time alone so that wasn't a big issue for me. But even so, the nurses, techs, and even the maintenance people were all so kind and friendly, it was a big help. Also, my iPad was a real asset. The nurse told me that all the transplant patients on that ward had iPads.

Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions. The link to my blog is in my signature.

Karen
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com