View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 8, 2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
The other is very practical: they can help take notes and keep records, talk to the doctors with you, be your "spokesperson", and help you if there are decisions to make about your treatment.
My biggest practicality was my fiance and family doing my laundry so I didn't have to wear hospital gowns, and also bringing me more toiletries when I needed them (I went through toothpaste at an alarming rate!).

And I totally agree with Neil that the rules are there to PROTECT you, not to punish you! We affectionately referred to all children under ten as "germ bags" during my transplant, enough so that our 5 year old neighbour happily started referring to herself as one, too.

Also, it's amazing how fast the time flies with internet, music, dvds, and your hobbies surrounding you. I ended up not even getting to half the activities I brought "inside", and I got loads of gifts (one a day!) while I was there, too.

But I'd definitely let people know that they should email you things, but not to expect a response from you. Some days I felt bad that I just couldn't write the big, long, thoughtful responses that people deserved, especially not with so many coming in.

And I know how you feel on the transplant delay - mine was delayed the night before my first date, to a month later...

melissa
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)