View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 9, 2011, 01:33 PM

I can only tell you of our experience:

My husband (38 years old) was transplanted on 1/21/11. At Roswell Park, isolation means that you are not allowed to hang out in any other patients' rooms. Your door must stay closed at all times unless there's a medical reason for it to be open (observation, panic attack, etc). I did not have to gown up or scrub when I went into the room; I just had to thoroughly wash well prior to going in. Our children (9 and 11) were allowed to visit but no other kids were allowed in. They weren't allowed to snuggle in bed with him though. Overnight visitors were discouraged, but I know nurses bent the rules from time to time because sometimes what's not exactly good for the body is good for the soul. They encouraged visitors as long as everyone is healthy.

Now that he's home, the kids still can't have friends over. We call kids 'walking petri dishes', although germ bag is more succinct. lol