View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 9, 2011, 02:18 PM

At Johns Hopkins, i was allowed visitors but no germ bags, erm chilrdren under the age of 12 (15 during flu season). My visitors had to be healthy but did not have to scrub or wear masks or gowns. They were required to use hand sanitizer before passing through every door between the elevator, the ward, and my room, before and after visits. I was not allowed in other patients' rooms but was encouraged to walk the hallwalls within the ward for exercise so long as I wore a mask and used hand sanitizer before and after.

The doctors at both Hutchinson in Seattle and at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore told me that a lot has changed over the past few years regarding views on isolation. They've discovered that the most dangerous germs are usually already inside us rather than from external sources, being held at bay by our immune systems. That's why they give you the prophylactic antibiotics, antfungals, and antivirals. You still have to be sensible about exposure to others but very few centers have the stringent isolation rules they did 5-10 years ago or more.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com