Thread: Hi!
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 05:15 PM

Unhappy Hi!

I transplanted from southern California to Fort Lauderdale 2-/2 years ago. My extended family lives in Ohio and I wanted to get closer to them. I am the 24/7/365 caregiver for my husband who suffered a stroke and a traumatic brain injury. I'm grateful that in terms of his physical abilities, he can do msot things for himself. His difficulties lie more in communication challenges.

I've read that 65% of caregivers over the age of 65 die before those they care for. I try to eat correctly and am an avid exerciser but on 6/14/18, MDS with MPN overlap knocked on my door.

While the disease brewed undiagnosed for 4 years, I was lucky enough to be considered low risk. I take Hydroxyurea three times a week and so far take no other meds. At my 12/3 appointment wiht my oncologist, he indicated he will refer me to a Bone Marrow Transplant Doctor in January.

My head is spinning. I may or may not be approved for a transplant since I'm 71. If I am there are financial issues to be considered and that may preclude even having the surgery at all. Lastly, there is the issue of who will care for my husband during whatever hospitalization or treatment I may require.

Trying to take everything one day & one step at a time. Things will work out for the best.

Glad to have found a place where people understand and offer support