Thread: Vidaza
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 5, 2015, 08:25 PM

Hello Faye,
My mother has been on Vidaza since last June ( currently on her 13th) in eastern Canada, and although I have read that they have a trial underway that is pill form, it's not yet available in Canada, so she has to go to hospital for injections. The protocol is very specific so I am assuming that it has to be done by nurses who have the right training for this treatment.

In fact, from my research, we are fortunate that it's available in our province ( New Brunswick) as it's not necessarily the case for the rest of Canada, i am told.

For my mother, Vidaza has been a godsend, it has kept her alive for over a year, with little to no side effects. Great quality of life! ..alas, it would appear the treatment is no longer effective, we were just told last week that her blood work had been going downhill since February. She still feels great so it was a shock... No doubt a bit less energy but otherwise enjoying life to the fullest. Horrible disease....
We're hopeful that she will stabilize again and vidaza will continue to keep her away from AML.... She is obviously high risk MDS...

Anyone out there with words of encouragement with respect to a "second wind" with Vidaza for a 78 year old who is otherwise healthy and full of life?

This forum is also a godsend.....
Annette ( daughter of an amazing mother who deserves a bit more time....)