View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

You shouldn't feel silly. Most if not all people on this Forum never heard of Aplastic Anemia before diagnosis. In the U.S. there are 600-900 cases a year. This is a rare disease. I would recommend looking at the thread in marrowforums for more info on the ATG treatment.

http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=1868.
You want to be in a hospital where they are familiar with the ATG treatment. My "local" hematologist sent me to a center where they are much more familiar with the ATG treatment. The daytime nurse waited for the night nurse to start the treatment because the night nurse had completed the treatment many times.
For me ATG treatment was 5 days in the hospital. They will insert a main line of some kind (probably). I received methyl prednisone and Benadryl as pretreatment to receiving the ATG daily. These medicines will help to minimize any reactions to the ATG.
There is a possibility of respiratory issues associated with allergic reactions to the ATG so they keep a close watch on you. ATG is dispensed in an IV bag. The infusion is performed over 6 hours to 16 hours each day over four days. (I have read about some cases where the treatment took longer because of complications) The first day I had some chills so they slowed the process down. That is why it took 16 hours to receive the ATG. So the process is similar over the four days. The nurses will monitor temperature, blood pressure, respiration and other vital signs to make sure you are doing OK with the treatment. They also took blood samples very day. I also started taking the prescriptions while in the hospital.
I tried to walk around the ward as much as possible during my treatment time.
I was on a ward in the hospital for bone marrow transplant. My neutrophil count went way down while in the hospital so I was considered at risk for infection.
I felt pretty good for the first week but began to feel bad after that first week. Mainly I had no energy. This was directly related to red blood cell levels. I had levels measured every 3-4 days initially.

There is much more info but maybe others will have additional comments.
Let me know if you need more or more specific information.

Scott Davidson