View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 05:11 PM

The NEED for Laughter

I recently read a post by Ryan Jay (AA forum) with the title
"We all scream when we eat ice cream"........( or close to it) and it made me laugh out loud. Then I posted a wisecrack reply and someone pm'd me that they thought it was funny. Humor is a HUGE part of my "real" life.

It then occured to me that I never laugh when I'm on this site. I feel educated, supported, hopeful, empowered, and inspired...I also feel ignorant, confused, defeated and overwhelmed and just plain sad. Sometimes I just want to feel a little bit "lighter"( in more ways than one...) I check this site daily and some days would like a little emotional lift...or provide some positive reinforcement as a way of giving back to those who have taken the time to help or bolster me....

I think there are a bunch of smart, amazing people on here who are all going thru the worst time in their life, myself included. Who see the irony in what has happened to us, and some of the random, funny experiences along the way...like how I went to a Leukemia fundraiser for someone else and was really excited about a nite out, dressed up...first one in a LONG time. As it turned out, could have bled to death because my platelets were ultra low and some drunk bimbo fell backward in her huge teak barstool and landed on my shin & ankle, that swelled and turned purple immediately....what are the odds? Why couldn't have I just won the 50-50?
Funny in an ironic sort of way... See, it's not all bad! lol....

Wonder how, in a tasteful way, we could incorporate a little levity? Not in a joke telling way, but some of the little things that make us chuckle or smile during this crazy experience. Laughter and inspiration. I have some other anecdotes that have happened as well....I think there are miracles all around us and I have experienced a few, through amazing coincidences. And some "angels" I have met too...I would like to hear those stories from others as well.

Perhaps we could lighten our day, either by establishing a new forum, or whatever....maybe no one else agrees, but if you do, please let me know! If not, I just wasted 5 minutes of your time...my apoligies....
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly