View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 10:20 AM

SSDI

It's always worth applying if you can't perform the job for which you were trained/have worked because of the symptoms of your disease or because of the side-effects of your treatment. The form is very intimidating, and you need to be able to write good "essays" (although the space allowed isn't really sufficient). If you have any issues with writing those, get someone who is good at writing help you. You need to be able to demonstrate that you are unable to work at your normal occupation by virtue of disability. They ask about all your meds, and you have to give the name(s) of MDs who have rescribed them. This includes all meds not related to the blood disease.

Some of the questions can be hard to answer, since they ask things like the percentage of time you spend seated, standing, kneeling, crawling, etc.

I think a lot of people get denied because they don't fill in the form correctly and/or don't write complete and informative essays or their MDs' office(s) don't complete their part accurately and fully.

Of course it's easier for people with "obvious" problems performing former jobs - like a lumberjack or ballet dancer who has an amputation - but good and thorough documentation should enable most people with a marrow issue to get SSDI if they are unable to work.

I'm a PT, and I've completed an SSDI application for someone with spine problems.