View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 03:27 PM

ATG

ATG usually takes some time to take effect, B-OK. It is variable though. Some people begin to respond within a few weeks, others may take several months. My husband has had ATG twice, and the first time he didn't see any improvement for 10 weeks, but the second time it took only 5 weeks before he was able to stop transfusions. Generally speaking, they say to give it at least 6 months before deciding that it's not working. Some may still start to respond from 6 months to a year after treatment, but it's less likely at that point. I don't understand why it takes so long, but one thing all AA patients and families have to learn how to do is WAIT.

You should also know that "response" does not necessarily mean return to full normal counts, just improvement to the point of no longer needing transfusions. Many people do return to normal levels, but some do not, and are still able to live normal lives. In the 3 1/2 years since my husband's last ATG his counts have continued to improve very slowly. His Hgb is in normal range now, and Plts have been over 100k for close to a year. His WBCs are still lower than normal (perhaps because he is still taking cyclosporine), but he is healthy and has had no problems with infections or illness, so we are happy with the results.

He also had some very unpleasant side effects to the prednisone, but they went away as soon as he tapered off the drug.

I hope your wife has a good response too!