View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 28, 2010, 10:46 PM

Smile Ron Started Revlimid Today!!!

Hello All...

After a grueling day... we weren't getting anywhere with Ron's Revlimid prescription because of the "processing time" with our speciality pharmacy through our insurance... we were just doing a lot of waiting.

The nurse made a recommendation that we contact our insurance and ask for a special, one time authorization for local distribution of Revlimid so Ron could start it today.

3 Hrs of phone calls later, we walked out of the local pharmacy with a one month supply (total: 28 pills) at the tune of $13,592.46 (US Dollars)... CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??? I could not believe it!!!! Amazing what is charged for these medicines! I'm just so thankful that we have good insurance, or, I don't know what we would do! (It made me sad to think about those not as fortunate).

Ron's Oncologist said, we have a 1 in 4 chance of Revlimid working for Ron. (We pray he responds). I thought Revlimid has a better track record, but, what he explained was, Had Ron only had -5q deletion in the very beginning, then, yes, better odds of a favorable response. But, because Ron started his MDS with 6 aberations, and has already been treated with Vidaza, that, the response odds are not as good, but, he's hoping for a good response, and of course, if no response, then, we have other options.

Please keep Ron in your prayers, that Revlimid works for him and it helps bring his energy level back up. He's very tired right now. Blood counts today were HBG 9.7, WBCs 3.8, Platelets in 70s, and I'm not sure about the rest. He did not require any transfusions, which is good. We have follow-up appt (Labs) Friday and next Monday. (They're keeping a close eye on him right now).

God Bless you All!!!
Cindy
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.