View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by launch View Post
It's been a very difficult past 6 wks with Ron in and out of the hospitals for various problems (i.e. fevers, heart problems, etc.). We traveled to Moffitt Cancer Center and Ron was very very ill when we arrived to see Dr. List. He confirmed what was suspected in Altanta, GA. We decided to begin treatment right away here in Tampa instead of traveling back home. So, Ron's MDS has transformed into AML. He requires Induction Chemo and will be in the hosp for 4-6 wks.

He is now on Day 5 of his treatment and he is in ICU, having a very difficult time. He has a tremendous amount of water retention and all they could do is put in a urine cath to keep him from having to get up every 15 min to use the bathroom. He's very very weak and his lungs are filling up with fluid too. today they did an X-Ray and suspect possible lung bacteria/infection. When Ron's stable enough, they will perform a lung scope to check for type of bacteria/infection.

His heart has gone into A-Fib Arrythmia several times, which the cardiologists believe is only due to the fluids. They cannot stop the fluids, because he was getting 3 bags of chemo, antibiotics, saline to flush kidneys, and he has also required RBCs. He is not a very happy camper. They will keep Ron in ICU until the chemo is done (tomorrow is last day), and, then, until the fluids balance back out. He's so blown up right now... his calves seem like they could just "pop"... poor guy. Also, starting to blister some due to over hydration the dermatolgist said. He's also receiving diuretics, that the dermatologist say can also cause blistering.... Oh well.... it's a balancing act right now.

After this treatment Dr. List said we will explore the possibility of a BMT. He reminded us that this induction type remission won't last forever, that, something else will be required... and that Ron was still young and healthy enough for a BMT.

His siblings will be tested for a match soon. They are working the paperwork now. So scarey how things are going.... but, one day at a time....

And, I know I don't normally share things that "really aggrevate me"... but, I am so tired of hearing one common phrase because he seems so very shallow when you hear it so often..... and I'm sure many of you have heard the same thing.... "If I can do anything for you, please let me know..."

I'll leave it at that.... I will update how Ron's doing soon....
God Bless All of You....

Cindy
I sincerely hope and pray that you can tide over these tough times. All of us here can understand the helplessness. You shall be in my prayers as well.