View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
How would we determine if risk of progression is relatively low? I just had my second BMB on 12/18 (first one was 7/15). No increase in blasts or dysplasia seen, but we are waiting on the genetics. First test had trisomy 8 in 20/20 metaphases reviewed.
Dan,

This is really interesting. Essentially, your first BMB said that all your stem cells have the Trisomy 8 abnormality, yet you've got normal counts in all but the platelets. This fits with what I've heard from Dr. Sloand and Olnes at NIH, namely, that it's possible that Trisomy 8 cells, unmolested by t-cell attacks, may be able to make blood just fine, thank you very much.

I think the folks at NIH would be very interested in reviewing your case.

I'll be very curious to see what your new cytogenetics say; I hope you'll share them with us.

In answer to your question to Tytd, I'd reckon it would be a bad sign to seem more cytogenetic abnormalities cropping up, particularly something like monosomy 7, which we will hope does not happen.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com