View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 8, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna j. View Post
Hi all,

For those of you who are transfusion dependent, or your loved ones are, do you all get the transfusions in the hospital? I feel a little uncomfortable, walking down a long corridor of sick people in the hospital, with all my blood counts so low. Does anyone wear a mask or gloves? I am curious because I got a blood transfusion last Wednesday and am now home sick with a fever. Any similiar experiences?

thank you,

Donna

Since Feb.2008 to end Oct.2011 I've had 170 units of PRBCs infused both in ICU and out-patient area of hospitals. I've had a couple of bad reactions (chills, fever); however, I regularly receive a pre-transfusion treatment of regular tylenol, benadryl, and hydrocortisone IV. This has worked nicely for me for the last three years. No mask or gloves or adverse reactions but YMMV.

Another point of importance for me is date of donation/expiry, and the variation of actual volume amount which has ranged from 238ml to 353ml (a difference of 48 per cent is considerable IMO). Another consideration is that as the number of transfusions and antigens increase, the cross/match process takes longer to do and becomes more difficult for the lab to find a donor that is compatible. For me fresh blood is preferred but compatible match is essential regardless of expiry date.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).