View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 26, 2010, 11:36 PM

Pediatric second opinion

JoJo,
My son was 3 1/2 when he was diagnosed with SAA.
I was lucky that we had Kaiser and our doctor diagnosed him immediately. After researching, I felt that he had done all that seemed standard in our case. In my research though, I found that there are several doctors whose names stand out in the research of pediatric AA. You are very close to one of the best:
Dr. David Margolis at Childrens Wisconsin

He is very easy to talk to - I just got his number from the AA/MDS foundation. There are a few notable doctors nationwide. She gave me the number also of Dr. Neil Young at NIH and another at UCLA (but he really didn't specialize in pediatrics - saw him speak at an event). Dr. Margolis is VERY approachable. If you call him, he will call you back. He can't consult unless you go to him as a second opinion, but he will tell you what he thinks over the phone.

It made me more confident that I was making the right decisions for my son. Our doctor's brother had AA so I knew he was up on all the latest research. But, if your son's history is that complicated, you might just try and go to Dr. Margolis for a second opinion.