View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 06:01 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
Hi Paula,

Regarding colds and flu....If I got a cold, I would be the one to wear a mask when John was around. I feel it's better for me to wear it to keep the germs as contained as possible. I would sleep with one on. Change it daily. He never caught a cold from me. Lots of hand washing by everyone and cleaning door knobs, phone, etc with peroxide or alcohol wipes. We also have an air purifier with UV light that kill germs and mold.

I think in the early stages of recovery, stay out grocery stores, crowded public place and wear a mask during peak cold/flu season. Keep the nasal passages moist. In the winter, the dry heat causes the nasal passges to dry out more. We do use a humidifier in the winter. Also, John coats his nasal passages with Vitamin E oil to keep them from cracking and drying out. Dry nasal passages provide an easy entry for germs to get into your system. Do not do yard work without a mask. Way too many molds in the soil and leaves.

With his ANC, he should be able to fight off any infection. But with that being said, we still take precautions because an illness can take a toll on his counts and stresses his bone marrow.

I have a small arsenal of natural approaches I use when he has gotten a cold or the flu. They seem to shorten the duration and have kept it from going to his chest.

Here's what we do when he feels something coming on:

1 - Elderberry syrup and/or tea. Elderberry has been used for years to keep viruses from replicating. In USA, New Chapter has a viral block formula that we use.

2 - Zinc lozenges

3 - Vitamin C. 2000 - 4000 mg/day

4 - Therapeutic grade essential oils. These vary depending on what I'm trying to do. Some help with congetion, some with coughs, etc.

5 - Use a good probiotic to keep the gut healthy.

On the issue of prognosis....I do think that statistic applies to someone who's AA is not treated and contiues to progess. John is six and half years out from treatment and there are many others leading long healthy lives.

Marlene
Hi Marlene,

Thank you very much for your answer.
For some reason, I post this entry but was not able to find it.

Your recommendationg are precious, and even thought I can't find some things here as elderberry I will look for others.

Can you recommend me a good probiotic?

Again, thank you very much and I'm sorry for not having seen it before.

I can tell you that Jorge went to my son's cold without problem.

His platelets are now 140, neutrophils 1.8 and WBC 2.7

God bless you!