View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2017, 08:36 PM

For encouragement, my mother was diagnosed in May 2014 at the age of 77. Her blasts were 13%... she started Vidaza and was treated until February 2017 when the doctor informed us that it was no longer effective. She has been off treatment and only getting supportive care (transfusions) since. With the exception of a bad infection in April 2017, she has been feeling better than when she was on treatment. Her numbers are really low (platelets around 4000 to 20,000) and requires red blood transfusions every 3-4 weeks. She no longer gets platelets ( since April 2017). She lives in a senior’s residence (with independent living), and although her world has become small (few outings ), she still enjoys life as she has a wonderful support group which includes her 3 wonderful sisters. She accepts her condition, is not afraid to die and sees every day as a gift from God.

I hope this helps....where there is life, there is hope. Her story proves this. Her doctors, for the most part, gave up on her a long time ago —- but she never gave up and takes each day as they come. I admire her and love her dearly.