View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 9, 2009, 08:19 PM

what to expect during and after transplant

Hello all,

I am new to this but have been reading many threads and am so thankful that such a resource exists.

I am looking for info and guidance... My father was diagnoised with MDS a few years back (sorry I don't have all the specifics!) and has been on Vidaza for over a year. He has also been taking daily shots to increase his WBC and RBC. He is now going to get a BMT... Two weeks from today he will be admitted to the hospital. A week of chemo, then the transplant....

It is frustrating for me since I am a plane ride away, and don't know all that is going on. I try to get info that is filtered through my parents, and they don't always ask the questions that need to be asked. I will be flying down to care for him after the transplant, and would like to know what to expect. He is feeling great now.... (blast cells at 8% i think.... and if some one can put that into perspective that would also be helpful!)

Also, any helpful suggestions I can give my dad to try and make him more comfortable during this process, would be helpful.

I also will be flying down to spend time with him when he is in the hospital, so any guidance on how to be most supportive during this time, and what to expect would appreciated.

Thank you!