View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 07:35 PM

Hi krunkert - I also understand your concerns.

My WCC deteriorated very slowly over 8 years from 2003 after I had had falciparum malaria along with a staph infection which resulted in boils for about 6 months (we were in the Solomon Islands at the time). A 2008 biopsy didn't show MDS but the 2011 one did and the haematologist thought I had had the disease for 2 years by then. Unfortunately my GP had become complacent as my low WCC which he monitored 3-monthly seemed "normal" for me - even though in fact it was gradually dropping year by year. I remember some time after 2008 asking him if I should see the haematologist again and he basically said "what more are they going to tell you?" It was only when circumstances led to me seeing a different GP that I was sent back to the haematologist who diagnosed the MDS with 10% blasts.

I guess the lessons from this are (1) monitor your counts closely, as you seem to be doing. I spreadsheet mine so I can see how the yearly average is going (2) Seek a second opinion and a third if you aren't satisfied that all is well (3) Look after your body and try to minimise the risk of infection.

All the best. Will watch out for your continuing posts...
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.